Here is our Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND) report and policy for 2023 – it includes lots of useful information about how we cater for SEND at Mayfield:  Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Policy & Information Report    SEND Flowchart


The local authority local offer

All Cambridgeshire Local Authority maintained schools have a similar approach to supporting children who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. The Local Authority works in partnership with schools to enable them to be as inclusive as possible. Schools have a graduated approach to SEND ensuring early identification of additional needs and an on-going continuum of support as appropriate.

Our local authority’s local offer is published here: Cambridgeshire Local Offer


How are children with Special Education Needs identified and assessed? What should I do if I feel my child has SEND needs?

Identifying pupils with SEN and assessing their needs

Class teachers assess each pupil’s current skills and levels of attainment on entry, which will build on previous settings and Key Stages, where appropriate. Class teachers will make regular assessments of progress for all pupils and identify those whose progress:

  • Is significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
  • Fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
  • Fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
  • Widens the attainment gap

This may include progress in areas other than attainment, for example, social needs. The school makes use of a range of descriptors and checklists available from county and health to evaluate areas of need in specific areas such as speech & language, social communication difficulties and sensory concerns. Teachers also use a range of assessments in addition to teacher assessment such as the Sandwell Numeracy Tests, Neale Analysis of Reading Ability (NARA) & York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension (YARC).The school may also use a range of other diagnostic tests such as a Dyslexia portfolio to assess specific literacy difficulties, a Fagus profile for social and emotional needs and other descriptors, checklists or diagnostic tests from time to time for particular pupils.

Slow progress and low attainment will not automatically mean a pupil is recorded as having SEN.

When deciding whether special educational provision is required, we will start with the desired outcomes, including the expected progress and attainment, and the views and the wishes of the pupil and their parents. We will use this to determine the support that is needed and whether we can provide it by adapting our core offer, or whether something different or additional is needed.

Consulting and involving pupils and parents

Where we identify a pupil as having possible SEN the class teacher will have an early discussion with the pupil and their parents to assist when identifying whether they need special educational provision. The class teacher will also complete a record of SEN concern form to discuss the needs with the SENCo and to take advice during this time. These conversations will make sure that:

  • Everyone develops a good understanding of the pupil’s areas of strength and difficulty
  • We take into account the parents’ concerns
  • Everyone understands the agreed outcomes sought for the child
  • Everyone is clear on what the next steps are

Notes of these early discussions will be added to the pupil’s record and a copy shared with parents if requested.

We will notify parents when it is decided that a pupil will receive SEN support.

Where a parent first raises concerns about possible SEN needs of their child these should be directed initially to the class teacher and they will follow the process above. Where a parent makes direct contact with the SENCO they may be redirected back to the class teacher. See Policy.

Input from Outside Agencies

Parents may be asked for permission for their child to be seen by an appropriate agency. This could include Educational Psychologists, Specialist Teaching Teams, Hearing or Visual Impairment Service, Health Specialists, Speech and Language Therapists, Educational Support for Looked After Children (ESLAC), or other professionals. Advice would then be shared with relevant adults in school and to parents on how best to support the child’s learning.


The Deaf Support Centre (DSC)

For information about the centre please click HERE

Teacher in charge of Hearing Support Centre: Mrs Rachel Fazakerley
Head of Service: Sibel Djemal


How can I let school know I have concerns about my child’s progress or wellbeing?

  •  In the first instance speak to your child’s class teacher
  • If you continue to have concerns speak to the SENCo/Inclusion Leader who will liaise with the class teacher (see policy)